Green day but Simon’s seconds fail to close gap
ST NEOTS racing driver Simon Green was named Driver of the Day at the latest round of the Ford Saloon Car Championship at the weekend. Despite this Green only managed two second place finishes and fell further behind Championship leader Rob Wells in the
ST NEOTS racing driver Simon Green was named "Driver of the Day" at the latest round of the Ford Saloon Car Championship at the weekend.
Despite this Green only managed two second place finishes and fell further behind Championship leader Rob Wells in the standings.
The double header weekend was held at Cadwell Park track in Lincolnshire - notoriously one of the hardest circuits in the Saloon Car calendar.
In the Saturday race Green battled with rival Phil Taylor for second position while Wells cruised ahead in first, maintaining his pole position on the grid.
You may also want to watch:
Green lacked Taylor's power on the straights but his superior cornering built up the pressure and Taylor ran wide, picking up a puncture, allowing Green to clinch second position.
On Sunday the St Neots man worked his way up to third position and again battled with Taylor for second position with Wells way out in front.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 5 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 6 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 7 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
The battle was nip and tuck all the way until the very last corner of the race when Green took advantage of an error by Taylor to snatch his second consecutive second place.
Green said: "As I learnt the circuit it got easier and I really enjoyed the battles for second with Phil (Taylor). I was delighted to win the Driver of the Day award and I'm already looking forward to the next meet."
The next round of the Ford Saloon Car Championships take place on August 19 & 20 at Anglesey circuit in Wales.