Green day but Simon’s seconds fail to close gap
ST NEOTS racing driver Simon Green was named Driver of the Day at the latest round of the Ford Saloon Car Championship at the weekend. Despite this Green only managed two second place finishes and fell further behind Championship leader Rob Wells in the
ST NEOTS racing driver Simon Green was named "Driver of the Day" at the latest round of the Ford Saloon Car Championship at the weekend.
Despite this Green only managed two second place finishes and fell further behind Championship leader Rob Wells in the standings.
The double header weekend was held at Cadwell Park track in Lincolnshire - notoriously one of the hardest circuits in the Saloon Car calendar.
In the Saturday race Green battled with rival Phil Taylor for second position while Wells cruised ahead in first, maintaining his pole position on the grid.
Green lacked Taylor's power on the straights but his superior cornering built up the pressure and Taylor ran wide, picking up a puncture, allowing Green to clinch second position.
On Sunday the St Neots man worked his way up to third position and again battled with Taylor for second position with Wells way out in front.
- 1 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
- 2 Small community café in St Neots "just hanging on"
- 3 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 4 Great honour for two men awarded the freedom of Huntingdon
- 5 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 6 Come and see Huntingdon's Beacon lighting ceremony for the Jubilee
- 7 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 8 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 9 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 10 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
The battle was nip and tuck all the way until the very last corner of the race when Green took advantage of an error by Taylor to snatch his second consecutive second place.
Green said: "As I learnt the circuit it got easier and I really enjoyed the battles for second with Phil (Taylor). I was delighted to win the Driver of the Day award and I'm already looking forward to the next meet."
The next round of the Ford Saloon Car Championships take place on August 19 & 20 at Anglesey circuit in Wales.