Great Stukeley Table Tennis Club make success of St Ives open tournament
THE inaugural Urban & Civic 2 Star Open Table Tennis tournament took place at the Burgess Hall in St Ives on Saturday – and England’s No6 Chris Doran from Northamptonshire won the men’s singles, while the women’s singles title went to Sussex player Kinga Oryl.
Organised by Great Stukeley Table Tennis Club, the event drew competitors from all over the country – but it was also a chance for youngsters from the region to try out against opponents from further afield.
The youngest player to take part was eight-year-old Matthew Pryke from Ramsey, pictured, who was making his competitive debut. Matthew’s father, Simon Pryke, made it through to the quarter finals of the men’s singles.
Eleven-year-old James Kelly from Chatteris, who made it to the last 14 of the National Finals last year was also in action, while Ryan Ringer-Duffy (16, from Wisbech) and Abbie Stacey (12, from Wimblington) also took part.
You may also want to watch:
Men’s Singles: Chris Doran beat Emran Hussain.
Women’s Singles: Kinga Oryl beat Lucy Zhu.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
Mixed Banded Singles: Steven Horsfield beat Wing-Yung Chan.
Veterans’ Singles: Steven Horsfield beat Kevin Caldon.
Junior Boys’ Singles: Matthew Outhwaite beat Joshua Robinson.
Junior Girls’ Singles: Lucy Zhu beat Holly Holder.
Mixed Cadets Singles: Jack Merton beat Aaron Baksh.