Great Staughton wakeboarder Katie Batchelor brings home a world championship bronze
KATIE Batchelor is celebrating a junior bronze medal at the Cable Wakeboard World Championships which were held in the Philippines.
The Great Staughton 15-year-old, who began wakeboarding three years ago, who also won a silver medal as part of Team GB at the championsips, explained her sport to The Hunts Post, saying: “Cable wakeboarding is where you get towed on a wakeboard by an overhead cable pulling system. It’s similar to a snowboarding drag lift which tows you around a lake.”
Batchelor continued: “You can perform tricks using floating obstacles – like ramps and rails – and also perform tricks off the flat water by using the tension in the cable line.
“I was so happy that I qualified for the finals as I knew I had a fairly tough heat and there wasn’t much room for error – so to just make the finals in my first year of competing in the junior women category was amazing.
“Going on to finish my run in the final and securing a podium place was awesome. Winning a medal at your sport’s world championships is a feeling you cannot describe!”
You may also want to watch:
The Longsands Academy pupil says she will now continue to push herself and is aiming to qualify to represent Great Britain at further international competitions.
Her proud mother, Hayley Batchelor, told The Hunts Post: “Katie was the youngest rider in her category of Junior Ladies, but managed to qualify first in her qualifier heat going straight through to the finals where she came third.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
“I think she deserves some recognition for this and her other international achievements this year.”