Great Britain call is a great moment for Gerard
- Credit: Archant
A St Ives man has described international selection as being ‘one of the greatest moments of my life’.
Dragon boat racer Gerard Baker is heading to the World Nations Championships after being named in the Great Britain senior squad.
The 44-year-old becomes the second member of the St Neots Dragon Boat team to earn selection for the world event in Canada between August 19 and 23 after Gavin Sinclair was called into the Great Britain Elite squad.
Baker said: “It’s amazing and I am very proud of what I have achieved. It is no exaggeration to say it is one of the greatest moments of my life.
“The camaraderie and welcome the GB team gave me, even before I made the final squad, has been second to none.”
You may also want to watch:
“I can’t wait until August to be sat on the plane to Canada and have the chance to test my mettle against the best the rest of the world has to offer.”
The GB senior squad trained on the River Ouse at St Neots over the weekend.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k