GOLF: James Reeson equals the course record to take top spot in tournament at St Ives Golf Club
- Credit: Archant
Home star James Reeson equalled the course record with a stunning 65 as he won the TP Tour Open Championship at St Ives Golf Club.
The amateur ace carded a terrific seven-under-par as he beat a field of 32 players which included three former PGA European Tour winners in Raymond Russell, Mark Davis and Mike McIntyre.
Reeson’s exploits earned him the £2,000 first prize, but he had to decline that sum in favour of a much smaller purse to preserve his amateur status.
It was the third year in which the tournament has been staged at St Ives Golf Club. It was jointly sponsored by MXI Services Ltd Needingworth, and the St Ives Chiropractic Clinic.
The condition and quality of the course, in Needingworth Road, received rave reviews from those taking part.
You may also want to watch:
“After six years, the new course is beginning to reach a maturity level from which its future potential as a golf course of exceptional quality is coming to the fore,” said general manager Gordon MacLeod.
TP Tour Open Championship Leaderboard
- 1 New chief operating officer appointed at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 2 Help for dog owners who bought puppies in lockdown
- 3 Competition launched to name new St Ives park
- 4 Football club is now a mobile testing centre for coronavirus
- 5 Warning after man spotted in Huntingdon hanging around vehicles
- 6 Letters to the Editor
- 7 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 8 Dog owners urged to take extra precautions after spate of thefts
- 9 Donations from school's Little Shop of Kindness is life-line for families
- 10 Public health director Dr Liz Robin to retire
1 James Reeson (65)
T2 Jean-Michael Hall, Sam Buss (68)
T4 Luke Fitzpatrick, Owen Curry, Mark Davis, Raymond Russell, Steve Lewton (70)
T9 Dan Scourfield, Danny Holmes, Jordan Loft, Dan Balme (71)