GOLF: James Reeson equals the course record to take top spot in tournament at St Ives Golf Club
- Credit: Archant
Home star James Reeson equalled the course record with a stunning 65 as he won the TP Tour Open Championship at St Ives Golf Club.
The amateur ace carded a terrific seven-under-par as he beat a field of 32 players which included three former PGA European Tour winners in Raymond Russell, Mark Davis and Mike McIntyre.
Reeson’s exploits earned him the £2,000 first prize, but he had to decline that sum in favour of a much smaller purse to preserve his amateur status.
It was the third year in which the tournament has been staged at St Ives Golf Club. It was jointly sponsored by MXI Services Ltd Needingworth, and the St Ives Chiropractic Clinic.
The condition and quality of the course, in Needingworth Road, received rave reviews from those taking part.
You may also want to watch:
“After six years, the new course is beginning to reach a maturity level from which its future potential as a golf course of exceptional quality is coming to the fore,” said general manager Gordon MacLeod.
TP Tour Open Championship Leaderboard
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
1 James Reeson (65)
T2 Jean-Michael Hall, Sam Buss (68)
T4 Luke Fitzpatrick, Owen Curry, Mark Davis, Raymond Russell, Steve Lewton (70)
T9 Dan Scourfield, Danny Holmes, Jordan Loft, Dan Balme (71)