GOLF: Gaunt grabs glory in St Ives Open
- Credit: Archant
Australian golfer Daniel Gaunt swooped for success in the fourth staging of the St Ives Open last week.
Gaunt carded a six-under-par round of 66 to take victory and the £1,800 top prize in the TP Tour event at the Needingworth Road course.
Gaunt, twice a winner on the European Challenge Tour, finished two shots clear of runner-up Jamie Elson, a former Walker Cup player and another man to have enjoyed tournament success on that tour.
Andrew George and Richard Mansell shared third spot after rounds of 69, while local professional James Reeson, who won the event in 2016, was a further shot back in a tie for fifth place after shooting a two-under-par 70.
St Ives (Hunts) Golf Club resident pro, James Mynott, finished on level par.
You may also want to watch:
General manager Gordon MacLeod said: “It is the fourth year in a row that we’ve held a TP Tour event at St Ives – and that is testament to the quality of the course and our vision to be recognised as one of the finest golfing venues in the Eastern region.”
The TP Tour boasts more than 200 playing members and is specialises in laying on one-day events around the UK.
- 1 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 2 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 8 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
It is open to professional players from around the world and high-level amateurs.