Golden girls retain their team title
SIX girls from Huntingdon Gymnastics took gold at the weekend in the Annual Regional FIG Team Championship, retaining their title. Kathryn Thomson, Kayleigh Cooke, Marissa King, Claire Stock, Kati Simpson and Tori Simpson all performed well to take the ti
SIX girls from Huntingdon Gymnastics took gold at the weekend in the Annual Regional FIG Team Championship, retaining their title.
Kathryn Thomson, Kayleigh Cooke, Marissa King, Claire Stock, Kati Simpson and Tori Simpson all performed well to take the title at the event held at Ipswich, Suffolk.
The team amassed a total score of 149.8 on the vault, asymmetric bars, balance beam, and floor disciplines, beating clubs from across the six counties that make up the East Region.
Head coach Paul Hall said: "I am very proud to see the girls retain the title and improve their routines.
"It bodes well for a the next few weeks of competition."
Stock competed superbly to win the individual 13-14 age group event, while Cooke was narrowly beaten into the silver medal position in the U15 event.
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 3 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 4 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 5 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 8 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Tobias Taylor earns GB call after second national schools boxing title
Cooke scored 51, just 0.5 behind South Essex competitor Emma Jagger.
King put in a good performance to finish just behind Cooke, claiming the bronze medal.
The girls will now take part in the British Club Championships in Newcastle, before going on to compete in the British Individual Championships in July.