Golden girls retain their team title
SIX girls from Huntingdon Gymnastics took gold at the weekend in the Annual Regional FIG Team Championship, retaining their title. Kathryn Thomson, Kayleigh Cooke, Marissa King, Claire Stock, Kati Simpson and Tori Simpson all performed well to take the ti
SIX girls from Huntingdon Gymnastics took gold at the weekend in the Annual Regional FIG Team Championship, retaining their title.
Kathryn Thomson, Kayleigh Cooke, Marissa King, Claire Stock, Kati Simpson and Tori Simpson all performed well to take the title at the event held at Ipswich, Suffolk.
The team amassed a total score of 149.8 on the vault, asymmetric bars, balance beam, and floor disciplines, beating clubs from across the six counties that make up the East Region.
Head coach Paul Hall said: "I am very proud to see the girls retain the title and improve their routines.
You may also want to watch:
"It bodes well for a the next few weeks of competition."
Stock competed superbly to win the individual 13-14 age group event, while Cooke was narrowly beaten into the silver medal position in the U15 event.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Cooke scored 51, just 0.5 behind South Essex competitor Emma Jagger.
King put in a good performance to finish just behind Cooke, claiming the bronze medal.
The girls will now take part in the British Club Championships in Newcastle, before going on to compete in the British Individual Championships in July.