Gold in Glasgow
PROLIFIC Huntingdon gymnast Louis Smith, pictured, was at it again as he picked up a gold medal for Great Britain at the Glasgow Grand Prix. Commonwealth champion Smith, 18, who trains at the Huntingdon Olympic Gym Club, romped to victory in the men s pom
PROLIFIC Huntingdon gymnast Louis Smith, pictured, was at it again as he picked up a gold medal for Great Britain at the Glasgow Grand Prix.
Commonwealth champion Smith, 18, who trains at the Huntingdon Olympic Gym Club, romped to victory in the men's pommel horse event to further cement his reputation.
He turned in a superb final pommel to claim 15.375 points and victory ahead of Hungarian gymnast Hidvegi Vid and Croatia's Seligman Robert.
Smith's success comes on the back of a bronze medal at the Stuttgart Grand Prix and helps earn him points towards World Cup qualification.
You may also want to watch:
Club mate Daniel Keatings fell from the pommel in the same event to shatter his chances of victory, though he still managed a fourth-placed finish.
A delighted Smith said: "I had some problems in qualifying but I'm a high riser and raise my game in competitions so was always confident. I could have been a bit tighter but things came out well.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k