Godmanchester Rovers the only local winners although points prove valuable for St Neots Town and St Ives Town

Goalscorer Micky Hyem on the ball for Godmanchester Rovers during their win against Newmarket. Pictu

Goalscorer Micky Hyem on the ball for Godmanchester Rovers during their win against Newmarket. Picture: HELEN DRAKE - Credit: Archant

Godmanchester Rovers continued their glorious Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division streak yesterday – by beating the same team it started against on Boxing Day.

Matt Clements’ men roared to a 13th victory during a 14-match unbeaten run by sinking Newmarket 4-1 at the David Wilson Homes Ground.

Two Tom Spark goals, and strikes from Micky Hyem and Luke Brown, earned the points for the third-placed locals.

St Neots Town are all but safe in the Southern League Premier Division following a long-distance draw yesterday.

The Saints shared the spoils in a 1-1 deadlock at Welsh club Merthyr, equalising courtesy of an own goal midway through the second half.

Andy Davies’ men now sit 12 points clear of Bideford – the only team inside the bottom four who could catch them. They also boast a hugely superior goal difference.

Play-off chasing St Ives Town retained their fourth spot in the Southern League Division One (Central) standings following an eventful 1-1 draw at Beaconsfield SYCOB yesterday.

Most Read

Jack Higgs fired Saints ahead from the penalty spot midway through the second half, but their lead lasted only 11 minutes as the hosts levelled.

Midfielder Jared Cunniff was dismissed late on along with Beaconsfield boss Geoff Warner after both had been deemed to have struck the ball in a dangerous manner during a bizarre incident.

Warner had blasted a ball at Saints boss Ricky Marheineke on the touchline with Cunniff responding by thumping it into the home dugout.

There were defeats for both local sides in the United Counties League Premier Division.

Eynesbury Rovers saw their hopes of a top-six finish dented by a 3-0 defeat at Rothwell Corinthians – hardly the ideal preparation for their Hunts Senior Cup final clash against higher-level St Ives this Wednesday.

Bottom side Huntingdon were beaten 5-1 for the second time in 48 hours.

Yesterday’s loss came at Yaxley – where Luke Young opened the scoring – after they had gone down by the same scoreline to Holbeach at Jubilee Park on Thursday night. Giuliano Staffieri hit a consolation for Town in that fixture.