Godmanchester Rovers are walking tall after winning charity festival
- Credit: Archant
Nev Nania and Matty Haniver guided Godmanchester Rovers to glory in the Hunts Senior Cup final back in May.
Last Sunday, the club’s sporting director and player-coach joined forces to claim more county success.
They were both part of the Rovers side which won the first Hunts FA Walking Football Festival at the St Ivo Outdoor Centre.
Rovers won all three of their matches to take the honours in an event laid on to showcase what is known as the slower form of the beautiful game.
Rovers and fellow non-league side St Ives Town fielded squads made up of coaching staff, behind-the-scenes personnel and supporters.
The Hunts FA (who included county secretary Mark Frost in their ranks) and event backersBarclays (who boasted England Amputee international goalkeeper Gary Marheineke between the sticks) also entered teams on a day when the players on show ranged in age from 18 to 79.
There was also a grandfather (Lawrie Cook) and grandson (Adrian Griffin) in the same team as they lined up for the Hunts FA.
- 1 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
- 2 Drugs uncovered in Huntingdon home
- 3 Drug Dealer from Huntingdon has been sentenced
- 4 London Luton Airport and NATS will go ahead with Huntingdonshire flight path
- 5 Crafty Monkey is encouraging people to shop local this winter
- 6 Steve's Taxis has donated more than £20,000 to Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 7 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 8 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 9 Man dies following crash on A1198 near St Ives last month
- 10 Christmas Light Switch On's are back this year
The event raised £500 for the British Heart Foundation and further donations are still possible through https://www.justgiving.com/Hunts-FA/
Hunts FA Walking Football Festival
Results: Godmanchester Rovers 2, Barclays 1; Hunts FA 0, St Ives Tn 3; St Ives Tn 0, Godmanchester Rovers 4; Barclays 4, Hunts FA 1; Hunts FA 0, Godmanchester Rovers 1; St Ives Tn 1, Barclays 1.