Godmanchester Rovers are smiles better as they hit Wivenhoe Town for nine.

GODMANCHESTER Rovers were told to play with smiles on their faces at Bearscroft Lane on Saturday - and that’s exactly what they did, ending their six-game Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties League winless run with a brutal 9-0 thrashing of Wivenhoe Town, with Mike Hyem completing an excellent hat-trick in the final minute.

Joint manager Nev Nania said his team had been frightened of making mistakes recently, and without a league win since the end of October, he and David Hurst asked their players to dump the stress and play without fear.

Nania told The Hunts Post: “There has been a little bit of fear in our game and we have been doing some good stuff but there have been some inconsistencies because the players have been frightened of making mistakes.

“So the emphasis today – the theme – was for the players to keep it light and play with smiles on their faces … to take the stress away.

“If you take the stress away, and the fear of not doing the right thing, a result like that is always on the cards.

“We scored nine but we could have scored 20. At times we were playing really good football.”

James Hall found the net for first goal inside just three minutes. The striker cut inside from the right hand side of the box and found the top corner of Richie Robins’ net with a delicious left-footed strike. It was the shape of things to come.

Most Read

The second goal was less clear cut. Chris Hyem’s corner was caught by the Wivenhoe goalkeeper but then carried over the line as he came under pressure in the crowded six yard box. Despite protests from the visitors, it stood, and was claimed by Chris Hyem.

There was no doubt about the third when defender Tom Moran struck an unstoppable half volley from just inside the area.

There were further chances for the home side, with Jason King and Paul Bass both guilty of misses, before Mike Hyem got number four when he ran onto a long kick from goalkeeper Rob Mackney to put the ball past Robins, despite slipping in the mud as he shaped up to shoot.

The fifth came just before half time when James Hall found Bass and the striker celebrated his return from injury with a goal from close range.

Within minutes of the restart it was 6-0 with Bass getting his second from the penalty spot after King had been tripped in the area.

The seventh was the fault of the Wivenhoe goalkeeper who let Mike Hyem steal the ball from his feet and run it into an empty net.

Bass hit a post with a free kick before Mike Hyem sent a chance for his hat trick goal skyward.

Number eight came from the head of second half substitute Chae Simmons, who rose to meet King’s cross from a yard out with mere minutes remaining.

But there was still time for Mike Hyem to fluff another chance before sealing his hat trick with a confident strike in a one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

“When we play really well there isn’t a side in this league that can live with us,” said Nania.

Goddy: Rob Mackney, Stephen Hurst, Jonny Hall, Charlie Bowen, Tom Moran, Jason King, Mike Hyem, Chris Hyem, James Hall (Chae Simmons), Paul Bass, Joe Furness.