Godmanchester Rovers and Eynesbury Rovers make progress in FA Vase

NEVILLE Nania said Godmanchester Rovers could have scored a hatful of goals when they beat Thetford Town 3-0 in the FA Vase on Saturday.

“No exaggeration,” the joint manager told The Hunts Post, “There were many chances for both sides and it could have easily been 9-2.”

“The scoreline masked what was a far more convincing result. Before the game we had a frank and honest discussion in the changing room as negative results of late could have been avoided with a little more communication, concentration and focus for the full 90 minutes.

“It was evident as the players ran out they were galvanised into the right mindset to ensure no mistakes this time round.”

The first chance, on 20 minutes, fell to Dan Chillingworth who was making his first start. The former Cambridge United striker got on the end of a Paul Bass cross but the ball hit a post.

A further chance fell to Jon Hall on 35 minutes from another Bass cross but the defender headed over from point blank range. Amazingly, it was 0-0 at half-time.

Chillingworth continues to return to fitness and the player put in a great 45 minutes of hard work before he was replaced by reserve left-back Tom Lloyd for the second half, Jon Hall moved up to left midfield. From the very start of the second half Goddy were excellent.

Most Read

Adam King and Bass let in Mike Hyem but his shot was well saved by the Thetford goalkeeper and Hyem found himself in a good position five minutes later but his shot went just wide.

The opening goal came on 65 minutes when Hyem found Joe Furness who took one touch on the turn and slotted the ball home.

Bass went through on a one-to-one and shot against a post, and Furness and Jason King should have scored but were both denied. Jon Hall got in on the act as well as his shot was blazed over from close range.

The second goal came on 70 minutes when Hyem made room for himself after another Bass pass and found the net. On 80 minutes Bass, having his best game of the season, showed strength and control before drawing the goalkeeper and rifling a low shot home.

Goddy will now meet Cambridge University Press at home in October in the first round proper.

On Saturday it is back to league action when Diss Town are Rovers’ visitors in the Premier Division of the Eastern Counties League.

Goddy: Rob Mackney, Stephen Hurst, Jon Hall, Adam King, Tom Moran, Nicky Hurst, Mike Hyem, Jason King, Dan Chillingworth (Tom Lloyd), Paul Bass, Joe Furness.

Meanhwile, Huntingdonshire’s other reamining FA Vase team, Eynesbury Rovers, will meet Ely City in the first round proper of the competition after making light work of their second qualifying round opponents Rushden & Higham United.

James Freshwater and Ben Cole both scored in the 3-0 away win to keep up their record of a goal in every game so far this season. Jack Weedon also netted in what was captain David Fisk’s 300th game for the club.

James Harrison tested goalkeeper Andrew Wale before Freshwater struck a fantastic 30-yard shot for Rovers’ opener.

Weedon doubled their advantage in the 22nd minute from close range after a great move involving Cole and Lee Bassett. Cole and Bassett went close themselves before Wales once again had to stop a Harrison shot.

Just six minutes into the second Ben Cole scored with a shot from the edge of the penalty area. Ben Colmer shot wide, as did Bassett, as the visitors continued to pressure the Rushden defence.

They will now meet Eastern Counties League side Ely on Saturday, October 13.

“There’s no reason why we can’t go to Ely and get a result. We have the potential and they could have an off-day,” said joint manager Matt Plumb.

“It’s nice to have a run in any of the cups. It adds a little bit of excitement to the club. It’s a boost and brings in a little bit of money.

Eynesbury: Andrew Wale, David Fisk (Ross West), James Ducket, Robert Ducket, Darren Woodend, Tom Coles, Ben Colmer (Luke Swain), James Freshwater, Ben Cole (Shaun Flack), Lee Bassett, Jack Weedon.