NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: It’s a case of Rovers return as key Godmanchester men commit to the club for next season
- Credit: Archant
Godmanchester Rovers boss Ollie Drake has retained the nucleus of a squad he reckons is capable of winning promotion next season.
Leading scorer Jack Chandler is one of eight players to agree to another season with the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division club.
Brothers Micky and Chris Hyem, Tom Spark, Arran Mackay, Charlie Bowen, Joe Furness and Matty Allan are the other men staying on at the David Wilson Homes Ground.
And, after piling up 95 points to finish fourth last season, all sights are firmly fixed on a title challenge.
Drake said: “We’re absolutely delighted to get the boys back for next season. There is a hell of a lot of quality and experience in that group of players.
You may also want to watch:
“They’re all players who performed very well last season and they were attracting plenty of interest from elsewhere.
“What we did last season would have been enough to win some leagues, but we know we can do better because we started poorly and threw some silly points away.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
“There can be only one aim next season and that’s to win promotion.”
Drake is also closing in on a couple of new signings – one of which will be a new goalkeeper following the departure of Phil Peachey due to increased work commitments.
J & J Drake electrical contractors have been confirmed as the club’s new main sponsor.
Pre-season training begins on June 21 with Rovers set to feature in 10 friendlies during July.
* Furness won the manager’s player and players’ player of the season awards at Rovers’ awards bash. Matt Allan claimed the young player of the season prize with Chris Hyem receiving the ‘special mention’ prize.