Goddy swimmers win final after highest ever league finish
- Credit: Archant
Young swimmers from First Strokes Godmanchester produced one of their finest all round performances in winning the B final of the Junior Fenland League.
The team finished seventh of the 15 clubs and their highest ever finish put them in the B final. Just to be there was a massive achievement and they all rose to the occasion.
After 13 events the Godmanchester youngsters were eight points behind West Norfolk and after 21 they were just one behind Peterborough.
A sequence of 14 races where they didn’t finish below third place put them ahead and they were never overtaken. Triumph was sealed in the final eight-swimmer relay which First Strokes led from start to finish.
Madeleine Todd won her three races and other successes came from Max Bourne, Jacob Cowin, Oscar Brice, Tom Hamilton, Rebecca Keene, Jessica Spavins, Dominic Jackman, Gracie Freeman-Lewis, Charlotte Steel, Edward Bird and Ben Hall.
You may also want to watch:
Second and third places were achieved by Tristan Beecroft, James Quinn, Francesca Jackman, Colin Brunsting, Ollie Bourne, Emma Davis, Lauren Elliott, Yasmine Clitheroe, Brooke Alsford and Nick Hall.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 3 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'