Goddy enjoy a late Boon-us
Ridgeons League Division One Godmanchester 2 Debenham 0 Godmanchester moved three places up the league table with their third victory of the season, overturning Debenham s proud unbeaten record this season in the process. It was the first time that the
Ridgeons League Division One
Godmanchester 2 Debenham 0
Godmanchester moved three places up the league table with their third victory of the season, overturning Debenham's proud unbeaten record this season in the process.
It was the first time that they had beaten the Suffolk side in five league meetings. Assistant manager David Hurst was a proud man, acknowledging his side's best performance of the season. "We seem to have learned our lesson not to try to sit on a one goal lead," he said. "At half-time we told them to press on and get another goal and they did just that."
You may also want to watch:
It was a very gritty and determined display from Rovers as they collected three deserved points. They had a chance to take the lead as early as the 12th minute when Hayden Beasley headed wide of an open goal following a Paul Bass corner. But another Bass corner on 21 minutes was met with a firm header from Nicky Hurst to put Goddy ahead.
Debenham hit back immediately with a quickly-taken free-kick from the edge of the box which forced Ryan Hunt in to a smart save, tipping the ball over the bar.
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 6 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 7 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 8 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
The hosts then thought they had gone further ahead on 35 minutes from the same Bass/Hurst combination but this time Hurst's effort was ruled offside.
Debenham started the second half with real intent, penning Godmanchester into their own half for long periods. The turning point of the match came after 50 minutes when Hunt made two point-blank saves, the first a header from six yards and the second a reflex save from the rebound.
Although under enormous pressure at times Goddy stood defensively firm and increased their lead after 62 minutes when the dangerous Bass took a long throw that was met by a Nicky Hurst header. The visiting keeper fumbled the ball and Lee Boon stole in to ram the ball home for the clinching goal.