Goalscorer turns goalkeeper to help Godmanchester Rovers return to winning ways

Luke Seaber-Shinn shone as an emergency goalkeeper for Godmanchester Rovers.

Luke Seaber-Shinn shone as an emergency goalkeeper for Godmanchester Rovers. - Credit: Archant

A player more accustomed to scoring goals than preventing them proved to be a hero for Godmanchester Rovers today.

Attacking ace Luke Seaber-Shinn was forced to don the gloves after half-an-hour of their home clash against Walsham-le-Willows at the David Wilson Homes Ground.

Rovers were 3-1 down at the time they lost regular goalkeeper Niall Conroy to a back injury, but Seaber-Shinn went unbeaten as his side staged a fine turnaround to triumph 4-3 in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division clash.

Boss Matt Clements said: “Niall felt something pop in his back and there was no choice other than to take him off.

“Luke went in goal and did very well for the last hour of the game. He has played there before and might have to do it for a whole game next Saturday it Niall is not fit.”

Godmanchester man Jamie Blackwell had cancelled out an opening goal from the visitors before they moved back into the driving seat.

Joe Peacock and Michael Hyem had Rovers back on level terms by the interval and Hyem then hit the winner midway through the second period.

Most Read

Clements’ side remain third in the standings, but cut the gap to unbeaten leaders Norwich United to 14 points. The locals’ do have two games in hand.

Huntingdon reached the halfway stage of their United Counties League Premier Division season in losing style.

Rock-bottom Town were beaten by Boston Town for the second successive Saturday.

They went down 4-1 at Jubilee Park – Aaron Petty hitting their late consolation goal – seven days after being beaten 6-1 in the reverse fixture in Lincolnshire.

Huntingdon have lost 19 of their opening 21 games to sit six points from safety.

Eynesbury claimed a first win in four matches when easing to a 2-1 success at Oadby.

All the goals arrived in an eight-minute spell before the break with Ebey Marango opening the scoring with his first Rovers goal.

That was quickly cancelled out by the hosts, but Ryan Vale tucked away a penalty in the final minute of the first half to secure victory.

St Neots Saints’ home clash against Blackstones in Division One was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.