GIRLS FOOTBALL: St Ivo stars secure national final date at Stoke City
- Credit: Archant
St Ivo School can boast another set of national finalists.
Their Under 16 Girls team have booked their place in the Premier League Schools’ Cup showpiece to be staged at the Britannia Stadium - the home of Stoke City later this season.
And they claimed a sweet slice of revenge in the process when triumphing 3-0 against the Heathside School from Woking in a semi-final showdown last Friday.
Zoe Barratt, Abby Townsend and Katherine Speed hit the goals as St Ivo overcame the same opponents who put them out of the competition at the quarter-final stage at Under 15 level last year.
St Ivo girls’ football supremo Lisa Trigg said: “It is simply stunning for this squad to have reached a fifth national final in the space of five years.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a great testament to the players who have gone from strength to strength while working with myself and my fellow coach, Darren Marjoram, inside and outside of school.
“We’re all hugely excited to play in the final at Stoke City!”
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 7 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 8 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 9 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 10 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
St Ivo have now scored 45 goals while waltzing through seven rounds of this competition. They have conceded just two.
This St Ivo squad are no strangers to success. They were national champions (nine-a-side) and runners-up (five-a-side) at Under 12 level before being beaten in finals of Under 13 and Under 14 competitions in the following two years.
Now they’re just 80 minutes away from lifting the trophy again, although they don’t yet know their opponents with the other half of the draw still being settled.
Sandbach High School from Cheshire take on Meole Brace School from Shrewsbury in a quarter-final for the right to travel to Northumberland school Cramlington Learning Village in the other semi.
St Ivo’s Under 15 squad are also through to their national semi-final – they visit the Stanley Park High School in Surrey on a date to be confirmed - while the school’s Under 14 team were pipped 3-1 in a last-four clash by Durham Johnston School last week. Angel Lyden scored their goal.
St Ivo Under 16 Girls squad: Zoe Barratt, Aimee Best, Ellen Bullin, Ellie Brown, Alice Claridge, Lana Dobbie, Elle Jefferson, Sophie Marjoram, Caitlin McGeown, Katherine Speed, Sophie Tarpey, Abby Townsend, Erin Waterman, Nell Webber.