GIRLS FOOTBALL: Rampant St Ives Rangers roar into double-figures to complete a terrific treble
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Rangers Under 16s are toasting an honours treble.
Darren Marjoram’s side completed a marvellous season when lifting the Cambs Women’s & Girls League Cup last Friday night.
They swept aside Swavesey Spartans by a 10-0 scoreline in a showpiece clash staged at the Premier Plus Stadium in St Neots to follow up a league title triumph and victory in the inaugural Hunts Under 15/16 Girls Cup.
It was a terrific display made all the more impressive given the vast majority of the Rangers team were also part of the St Ivo School side who claimed national glory the previous day.
But any fears those exploits had taken their toll were quickly dismissed as Katherine Speed broke the deadlock after just four minutes.
Speed then struck again with Fran Chapman, Abby Townsend and Ella Burnley also getting in on the act during the first half.
Burnley’s goal was arguably the pick of the bunch as she guided a fine strike into the top corner from 20 yards, although Townsend’s volley from just inside the box wasn’t far behind in terms of quality.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 3 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 4 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 5 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 6 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 7 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 8 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 9 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 10 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
Another five Rangers followed in the second half with Speed helping her herself to three of them to complete a five-star individual display.
The first of that trio was created by Aimee Best, who featured in the final only eight weeks after suffering a broken ankle.
Burnley and Elle Jefferson completed the scoring as a super season ended on a high.