GIRLS FOOTBALL: Major event to be staged in St Ives on Thursday
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of local pupils will take part in a big FA Girls’ Football Festival tomorrow.
The Hunts FA and Cambs FA have joined forces to lay on the event at the One Leisure St Ivo Outdoor complex.
The festival falls in FA Girls’ Football Week - an inititaive to promote the fast-growing female game.
A wide range of activities have been laid on for pupils from primary schools and secondary schools across the area. They will also have the opportunity to meet players from FA Women’s Super League teams.
Kelly Simmons, FA Participation and Development Director, said: “What we want to see is more females of all ages playing the game and we have set ourselves the target of doubling participation by 2020 via our Gameplan for Growth strategy.
You may also want to watch:
“At the very heart of FA Girls’ Football Week is giving girls throughout the country the chance to try football, have some fun, keep fit and make a new group of friends and The FA Girls’ Football Festival in association with Continental Tyres is a perfect opportunity to inspire girls throughout Cambridgeshire to get involved in the game.”
The festival in St Ives is being supported by coaches from Arsenal Women - one of the leading clubs in the country. Scholars from St Ives Town are also assiting in the running of the event.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity