Gentle will be a giant signing as Saints boss boosts squad
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Town boss Ricky Marheineke has completed a trio of summer signings.
Central defender Steven Gentle is the headline capture for the ProEdge Westwood Road club.
The 32 year-old has spent the past five seasons at Biggleswade Town - the last three of them as skipper.
He also helped the Bedfordshire club to promotion from Division One Central of the Southern League - a feat Marheineke will no doubt be hoping he can repeat in St Ives colours.
Marheineke said: “We conceded far too many goals last season and a lot of that was down to our naivety. We made mistakes through a lack of experience and bringing Steven in will address that.
You may also want to watch:
“He is a natural leader who will be respected by his team-mates and I’m sure he will prove to be a great signing for us.”
Marheineke has also drafted in two new full-backs to help form a new-look Saints defence next term.
- 1 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 2 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
- 3 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 4 St Neots entrepreneur to host 24-hour ‘Speak Up’ event
- 5 Man rescued from car stuck in Tilbrook flooding
- 6 Flood warnings issued as police receive multiple calls
- 7 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 8 GP surgeries in Huntingdon and Papworth start vaccine roll-out
- 9 Covid cases highest in Hunts since pandemic began, new figures reveal
- 10 Man who invited children to use his hot tub breached police order
He has snapped up right-back Pat Bexfield for a second time after previously signing the player when in charge of Huntingdon. Bexfield has had a spell out of the game since leaving Town during last season.
And left-back Jordan Jarrold has arrived from Division One Central rivals Bedford Town.
Marheineke added: “I know Pat well. He has experience of this level and above while Jordan is an outstanding talent.
“We’ve have three good players on board and hopefully a couple more to follow very soon.”