FUTSAL: National finals lie ahead for the fantastic Rangers girls after claiming regional glory
- Credit: Archant
A set of St Ives Rangers girls have national glory in their sights after roaring to regional success.
The club’s Under 14 side were crowned queens of the east when representing Hunts at the Copper Box Arena, in London, last Sunday.
The successful squad - made up of Zoe Barratt, Aimee Best, Sasha Brown, Ellen Bullinaria, Poppy Dunmore, Ella Hampton, Molly Sutherland and Abby Townsend - went unbeaten by winning three and drawing one of their four matches. They scored 13 goals without conceding as they emerged victorious.
And St Ives Rangers only narrowly missed out on a regional double when their Under 16 side were pipped to victory by Hertfordshire side St Albans.
It was a terrific effort from the team of Ellie Brown, Ella Burnley, Fran Chapman, Mollie Coupar, Sophie Marjoram, Emma Mellors, Lauren Mellors and Sophie Tarpey, who were all playing up a year.
You may also want to watch:
The two futsal squads are football team-mates for St Ives Rangers Under 15s, and their coach Darren Marjoram said: “I could not be more proud of the girls to win one age group and come so close to a double.
“It was a terrific day at the Copper Box Arena and the girls left with more fantastic memories. It proves yet again that St Ives is a great place for the development of female footballers with opportunities to play other forms of the game, such as futsal, only helping that.”
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 8 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 Buckden celebrate first cup win in decades with home-grown squad
The national finals take place in Birmingham on June 24.
St Ives Rangers Under 10 Girls competed in their regional event last Saturday. They performed well at the University of Hertfordshire Sports Village – where the Under 10 and Under 12 tournaments were held - with their only defeat coming against champions Harvesters FC, from Herts.
Eight teams, who won county events in recent weeks, represented Hunts at regional level. The others were Bluntisham Blasters (Under 10 mixed), Buckden Harriers (Under 12 mixed), South Peterborough (Under 14 mixed), St Neots Town (Under 16 mixed) and Priory Parkside (Under 12 girls).
“We would like to thank all teams, players, coaches and parents who took part in the regional finals last weekend and represented the Hunts FA so well,” said county development officer Andy Coles.