FUTSAL: Fine achievement as St Ives Rangers aces reach national semi-final
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Rangers Under 14 Girls suffered penalty shoot-out heartbreak in the National Futsal Finals last Sunday.
The Hunts county and East region champions bowed out at the semi-final stage following spot-kick drama in Birmingham.
They beat Midlands champions Worthen Juniors 7-0 in their opening group game and then came from behind to beat South-West side Derry Hill Phoenix 3-2 thanks to a late brace from captain Zoe Barratt.
And despite a 3-1 defeat at the hands of AFC Wimbledon, they did enough to advance to the latter stages as runners-up in the group.
But their fine run came to an end against North-East top dogs Hepburn in a semi-final that went right down to the wire. Rangers were pipped in a sudden-death shoot-out after a 2-2 deadlock.
You may also want to watch:
“The girls have done themselves and the club proud,” said coach Darren Marjoram. “They’re the joint third-best futsal team in England in their age group and that’s a fine achievement.”
St Ives Rangers Under 14 squad: Zoe Barratt, Aimee Best, Ellen Bullinaria, Poppy Dunmore, Molly Sutherland, Abby Townsend, Sasha Brown, Ella Hampton.
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed