Full ‘Speed’ ahead as St Ivo School girls roar into another national final
- Credit: Archant
The St Ivo School’s Under 14 girls team are one match away from a second national triumph in the space of three seasons.
They booked their place in the PlayStation Schools’ Cup final with a 4-0 success against Ruislip High School in a semi-final showdown at the St Ivo Outdoor Centre last Friday.
Hot-shot Katherine Speed delivered a double-strike to take her astonishing tally to 28 goals in eight appearances in this competition.
Zoe Barratt and Abby Townsend hit the other St Ivo goals while four members of the side – Aimee Best, Elle Jefferson, Lauren Mellors and Nell Webber – shared the player-of-the-match accolade.
PE teacher Lisa Trigg, who coaches the team along with Darren Marjoram, said: “We’re thrilled to reach the national final again.
“To have managed it in three successive years is testament to the girls’ talent and motivation to succeed. I’m so proud of them all.”
A repeat of the 2015 final at Under 13 level is on the cards with St Ivo’s conquerors South Hunsley, of East Yorkshire, involved in the other semi-final. They host the Thomas Telford School from Shropshire.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 3 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 4 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 5 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 6 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 7 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 8 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 9 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 10 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
St Ivo were pipped in the showpiece clash at the Madejski Stadium, Reading last season but lifted the trophy at Under 12 level back in 2014 when beating the Grey Coat Hospital School from West London in a final at Bisham Abbey.
And the current St Ivo Under 13 girls team, which features several players who also play up a year for the Under 14s, have the opportunity to advance to their final next week.
They host the Gordano School of North Somerset in a semi-final clash at the St Ivo Outdoor Centre on March 17 (11.30am kick-off).
The dates and venues of the finals are yet to be announced by the English Schools Football Association.