NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: A quartet of Cambridge United youngsters roll into St Neots Town
- Credit: Archant
The influx of Cambridge United players into St Neots Town has begun.
Four young prospects from the League Two club have arrived at the Southern League Division One Central strugglers for the rest of the season.
Goalkeeper Finley Iron, defender Tom Dickens, midfielder Lewis Simper and striker Joe Neal will all be available for a home clash against Bedworth United tomorrow, 3pm.
Their moves - and the appointment of new manager Barry Corr, who takes charge for the first time against Bedworth - are part of what has been called a 'strategic collaboration' between United and Saints.
Iron is no stranger to the club after previous loan spells in the last two seasons. He has been pulled out of higher-level St Ives Town to return - a situation which has led to an angry reaction from that club's chairman, Gary Clarke.
You may also want to watch:
Frontman Neal also had a deal at Step 3 side Needham Market cut short so he could join St Neots.
Dickens and Simper, who both signed their first professional contracts with Cambridge last week, are getting a taste of senior football for the first time.
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 8 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
They join a Saints side sitting second bottom of the Division One Central standings although they have an 11-point cushion over basement boys Wantage Town. Only the team finishing bottom is certain to be relegated this season.
The deals for Iron, Neal, Dickens and Simper have a recall option for Cambridge United after 28 days.