AMPUTEE FOOTBALL: Marheineke helps England to sixth place in the World Cup
- Credit: Archant
Local man Gary Marheineke helped the England team to a sixth-placed finish at the Amputee World Cup in Mexico.
Goalkeeper Marheineke was part of the national side who breezed through the group stage in San Juan de la Lagos without conceding a goal.
They triumphed 5-0 against Uruguay in their curtain-raiser before claiming 3-0 victories against Ireland and the host nation.
Their fine run continued in the last 16 as Argentina were brushed aside 2-0, but England then saw their hopes of glory ended in a quarter-final clash with another South American national.
They were thumped 5-1 by Brazil which left them in the play-off group to determine the fifth to eighth-placed finishers.
You may also want to watch:
They saw off Poland 2-0 before going down 3-1 to Russia and having to settle for sixth spot overall.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity