Captain Charlie De’Ath was St Ives Town’s last-gasp saviour as they pocketed a valuable Southern League Premier Division point yesterday.

Goalkeeper Ollie Sutton impressed on his return to St Ives Town.Goalkeeper Ollie Sutton impressed on his return to St Ives Town.

De’Ath reacted quickest to smash in a rebound after a Scott Sinclair shot had thumped against the bar to secure a 1-1 draw against Frome Town at ProEdge Westwood Road.

“There is no way we deserved to lose,” admitted manager Ricky Marheineke. “And thankfully Charlie came up with a late goal to make sure that didn’t happen.

“Neither side created a lot of chances and it was disappointing to concede from a set piece again, but we got level and it adds an important point to our tally.

“We made some positive changes in the second half as we knew we needed a result. It paid off for us in this game whereas in others it might not and we’ll end up losing more heavily.

“It is easy for supporters to turn on a team when things aren’t going well, but they stuck with us and gave us great encouragement.

Saints had fallen behind seven minutes before the break in a game of few chances. Frome man Connor Roberts forced the ball past returning Saints keeper Ollie Sutton, who has rejoined from Bedford Town, following a corner.

Sutton replaced the suspended Tim Trebes, who was dismissed in a defeat at Kings Langley the previous Saturday.

Saints remain outside the relegation zone on goal difference. They sit level on points with a Cirencester side, who are in the bottom four, and a Hayes & Yeading outfit they travel to face on Tuesday night.

Marheineke added: “You only have to look at the league table to see that Tuesday is a big game for both clubs.

“It’s not quite a must-win, but it is one we can’t afford to lose and we’ll go into it with a bit off momentum and confidence after getting the draw against Frome.

“It’s a gradual process of needing to turn losses into draws, and draws into wins and we’ll climb the table if we can do that.”