THE lights went out on Godmanchester Rovers’ attack in the second half of Saturday’s game against Kirkley & Pakefield.

But, no matter, they were already 3-0 ahead by then.

After first-half goals from Paul Bass, James Hall and Tom Moran, the Bearscroft Lane floodlights failed for 15 minutes, going out in the 62nd minute. When they came on again, the home side missed at least five chances to add to that lead.

Eventually, with five minutes remaining, the visitors struck with a consolation goal to make it 3-1 at the final whistle.

"We are full of confidence after an impressive run stretching back to the beginning of December," said joint manager Nev Nania. "We could have easily hit nine but a mixture of poor finishing and solid goalkeeping denied us more goals."

Adam King started his first game in two months after recovering from an injury and Goddy also gave a second-half runout to Tom Spark from St Neots Town.

The first goal came on 28 minutes when James Hall won the ball and supplied Bass, who rounded the goalkeeper to roll the ball home.

The second goal was James Hall's, the striker losing his marker to hook the ball home from a corner on the half hour mark.

Defender Moran showed some great footwork to score number three, waltzing around a couple of Kirkley defenders before drilling the ball home on 40 minutes.

But the floodlight failure signalled a change in luck for the home side and with Goddy all over the Kirkley defence, they were unable to convert further chances.

Bass, James Hall and Mike Hyem all went close with Joe Furness outstanding on the left as the team attacked in waves.

But it was Kirkley who had the final say, scoring in the 85th minute, as the game fizzled out.

"Overall, it was a pleasing performance which continues our run of form," said Nania.

On Saturday, Rovers are at home again, this time against Felixstowe & Walton United.

Goddy: Rob Mackney, Stephen Hurst, Nicky Hurst, Tom Moran, Jon Hall, Jor Furness, Adam King (Tom Spark), Mike Hyem, Chris Hyem, Paul Bass, James Hall.