The current St Neots Town squad battled out a goalless draw with their most successful ever manager on Tuesday night.

Matt Clements’ men shared the Southern League Premier Division spoils with Tamworth as visiting boss Dennis Greene made a return to the Premier Plus Stadium.

Greene was at the helm for Saints’ back-to-back title successes at the beginning of this decade and a key player in that rapid rise, striker Stefan Moore, also made a brief appearance as a Tamworth substitute.

Neither goalkeeper was seriously tested in an end-to-end first half when the potential for good chances to be created in an open contest was not realised.

Tamworth did succeed in finding the net but Gregg Smith’s effort was ruled out for a foul.

Saints number one Harry Reynolds comfortably held an early Aman Verma header earlier on while Tom Wood, making his 100th appearance for Saints, headed their best opportunity of the opening period wide.

Reynolds pulled off a much smarter save to deny Tyrell Waite early in the second half and opposite number Jas Singh was then called upon to keep out Dion Sembie-Ferris at the other end.

Saints saw a strong penalty appeal ignored when Dylan Williams hit the deck in the box and their frustration was doubled when he was instead cautioned for simulation.

Nabil Shariff then saw an effort skim the angle of post and crossbar before the same player was a whisker away from turning in a low cross from Devante Stanley as Saints drew a blank in front of goal.

And they were reliant on a fine tackle from Stanley to rob Waite as he prepared to shoot into a gaping net in the dying moments to avoid being stung by a late sucker-punch.

St Neots’ lack of goals in league fixtures – only nine in 13 games – is a puzzling mystery given both the quality of their attacking players and the fact they have found the net 15 times in eight cup outings this term.

They hope the latter statistic receives another boost when they entertain Barwell in the second qualifying round of the FA Trophy this Saturday, 3pm.