FOOTBALL: Tributes paid after ‘Mr Eynesbury Rovers’ Deryck Irons passes away following cancer battle
- Credit: Archant
The Huntingdonshire football community is mourning the loss of one of its grandest servants.
Respected Eynesbury Rovers stalwart Deryck Irons passed away last week at the age of 74 following a battle with cancer.
Irons devoted much of his life to the Hall Road club, where he acted as secretary for 54 years after taking on the role from his father.
“The only word I can really use to describe Deryck is a legend,” said Eynesbury co-chairman Matt Plumb.
“He was an absolute gentleman, who had time for everyone, and he will be sorely missed.
You may also want to watch:
“Deryck is a huge part of the club’s history and has been a big inspiration to me.
“Our condolences go out to Deryck’s family and I can assure them that he will never be forgotten at Eynesbury Rovers.”Irons was also vice president of the Hunts FA as well as serving the United Counties League and St Neots & District Sunday League.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 7 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 8 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
He was a worthy recipient of long service awards from both the county association and the FA. They are given to those who have been involved in football for 50 years.
A tribute, issued by Hunts FA secretary Mark Frost, said: “Deryck spent a lifetime as a volunteer within football.
“Eynesbury Rovers and the world of football will very much miss someone, the likes of who will be a very hard act to follow.”