FOOTBALL: St Neots Town draw a blank as top talent Jevani Brown begins Cambridge United trial; winning start to the summer for St Ives Town
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Town striker Jevani Brown has joined Football League club Cambridge United on trial.
Brown, who hit 19 goals for Saints in the second half of last season, played for the League Two side in a friendly against Norwich City yesterday.
The match ended in a goalless deadlock with Brown coming closest to scoring when hitting the woodwork.
St Neots also drew a blank without their most lethal marksman yesterday when suffering a 1-0 friendly defeat at Mildenhall Town as their preparations for the new Southern League Premier Division campaign continued.
The only goal was scored by the reigning Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division champions midway through the second half.
You may also want to watch:
It arrived against the run of play from Luke Lindsay and as a result of a misunderstanding between two of Saints’ summer signings – goalkeeper Mike Emery and defender Liam McDevitt.
Luke Knight, Micky Hyem and Declan Rogers all missed good chances for Saints in the second period after Claudio Dias was denied by the crossbar in the opening half.
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 8 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
St Ives Town enjoyed a successful first friendly outing on Friday night.
New capture Lewis Hilliard, returning wideman Phil Draycott and striker Dubi Ogbonna hit the goals in a 3-1 win against Soham Town Rangers at ProEdge Westwood Road.
Godmanchester Rovers have started the summer with back-to-back wins against Cambs League sides.
Jack Chandler, Glenn Hodgson and Ben Yeomans were on target in a 3-1 win at Kershaw Premier Division outfit Fulbourn Institute yesterday morning.
Elsewhere, Eynesbury Rovers slipped up against lower-level Welwyn Garden City while Eaton Socon beat higher-level Wisbech St Mary.
Other friendly results: Alconbury 7 (Edwards 3, Bennett 2, Hasson, Claxton), Eunice Huntingdon 3; Eaton Socon 2 (Swain, og), Wisbech St Mary 1; Eynesbury Rovers 1 (Bamford), Welwyn Garden City 2; Eynesbury Rovers Reserves 1 (Whittingham), Cherry Hinton 3; Fulbourn Institute 1, Godmanchester Rovers 3 (Chandler, Hodgson, Yeomans); Gamlingay Utd 0, Huntingdon Utd 2 (Bennett, Rogers); Great Paxton 1 (Lapare), Doddington Utd 1.