Football round-up

Eastern Premier League (Played at Alconbury) Peterborough Ladies 3, Barking Ladies 2 A HOST of missed chances nearly cost Peterborough Ladies but three quickfire strikes cancelled out a brace by Barking Ladies to earn three valuable points. Donna Nichol

Eastern Premier League(Played at Alconbury)Peterborough Ladies 3, Barking Ladies 2A HOST of missed chances nearly cost Peterborough Ladies but three quickfire strikes cancelled out a brace by Barking Ladies to earn three valuable points. Donna Nicholls, Jade White and a superb match-winner from Helen Buckingham ensured the victory against a tough Barking outfit. It was the visitors who nudged ahead when a long range shot was parried by keeper Claire Everall and a Barking winger crossed the ball over for a team-mate to score. After the break, and against the run of play, Barking scored again with a cross-cum-shot but a resilient Peterborough side fought back with vengeance. Donna Nicholls chased what looked like a lost cause but, as both keeper and defender hesitated, a hasty clearance cannoned off the in-form striker and bounced into the net. Peterborough soon levelled as they won the ball and a pass from midfield picked out Jade White and she calmly ran on to slot past the advancing keeper. Again, Peterborough pressed forward and it was a short corner that caught Barking on the hop. White, Clare Knibbs and Donna Nicholls combined to send a waist-high cross into the box for midfielder Buckingham to score with a thunderous volley. Manager Maria Rudd, said: "We played some great football and just kept plugging away as we knew something would give. "Credit must also go to defensive duo of Stacey Schreiber and Nicola Holliday who did not put a foot wrong all game and were outstanding."Ridgeons League Division OneGodmanchester Rovers 2, Cornard United 1GODMANCHESTER'S first home game of the New Year saw them produce a solid performance to win in style against Cornard. Goddy started the game at a high tempo and looked like dictating the match with some dynamic attacking play.They deservedly opened the scoring after 11 minutes when Matt Peacock's shot from 20 yards squirmed under the body of the keeper and ended up in the back of the net. Despite a good start for the hosts, the goal seemed to galvanise Cornard and they started to come back into the game and would have been level had Wood not scrambled an effort off the Goddy line.Cornard continued to press and Rovers' keeper Baker was called into action to deny Cutts from equalizing, but he was powerless to stop the striker from finding the net after 35 minutes with a low shot. The half-time break helped Godmanchester as they went onto completely dominate the second half, creating numerous chances which the visiting keeper continued to repel.Rovers got their reward with just seven minutes remaining, when a ball from Ingram found Peacock who scored his second of the afternoon with a shot from 12 yards out. There was still time for further efforts by Hyem, who hit the post and also by Burling, Peacock and Ingram who all saw their efforts saved by the busy visiting keeper before the final whistle.Kershaw Senior A Needingworth United 4, Bluntisham 0NEEDINGWORTH started 2006 with a valuable victory over rivals Bluntisham in a game played at a frantic pace.The hosts forced a couple of corners early on and it was from one of these that Nick Mead powered home an unstoppable header. This gave United the impetus and they doubled their lead before the break when Steve Robson finished off an Olly Verrall cross. The second half saw United continue to create chances but Bluntisham looked dangerous on the break and it wasn't until Robson got his second on the hour that United started to settle.Leading scorer Scott Fielding gave the watching talent scouts something to report back when he turned well in the box and curled the ball into the bottom corner of the net to seal the points for Needingworth and extend their lead at the top of the table. Cambs League 2B Fenstanton 2, Over Res 1FENSTANTON returned to winning ways with a home victory against Over Reserves. Fenny started briskly and took the lead inside the first minute when Alex King found space on the edge of the box and drilled his low shot inside the far post. Over were quickly back on level terms when Chris Darling latched onto a loose ball and shot goalwards. Stand in 'keeper Adam Buckingham made a valiant attempt to block the effort but the rebound looped up and went underneath the bar. The home side regained the advantage when Adam Berrill's right-wing cross was diverted into his own net by Over defender Norman. Fenny should have increased the lead, but Steve Halliday's penalty was well-saved after Barry Denston was felled in the box. The second half proved to be a more cagey affair with the Fenny defence determined to keep out their opponents who were restricted to only a couple of long-range efforts.Longstanton 1, Needingworth Res 1UNITED'S reserves had to come from behind to snatch a late point away at Longstanton. Marco Galea grabbed the equaliser and United felt hard done by after having Mark Joyce's goal ruled out by the linesman's flag just before full time. St Neots and District Sunday LeaguePremier DivisionKing's Head 1, Riverside Rangers 4LAST year's league champions King's Head and this season's league leaders Riverside Rangers locked horns in an awesome top of the table clash in which Riverside came out on top.Both sides started in a lively fashion, but there were few chances in a goal-less first half.With an hour on the clock, Rangers were awarded a penalty when Paul Bass was brought down inside the box and leading scorer Carl Foreman made no mistake from 12 yards out.The hosts responded with some incisive attacking play and got their reward when a deflected shot wrong-footed keeper Gavin Armitage and nestled in the net to level the scores.With just 15 minutes remaining, it was anybody's game but this time Lady Luck shone on Rangers when captain Mark Hurst's deflected shot found the back of the net.King's Head pushed men forward and were exposed when MoM Adam Green sent Foreman clear on the right and his pin-point cross found Tony Jeffries who rifled home the third.With time running out, Steve Thompson completed the scoring as he broke free on the halfway line, beat two players and calmly slotted the ball home to seal the win and give Rangers another three points.