FOOTBALL: More than a thousand young footballers help to make Godmanchester Rovers Youth Tournament a terrific spectacle
- Credit: Archant
Almost 150 teams and 1,200 young footballers ensured the annual Godmanchester Rovers Youth Tournament was a major success again.
Jubilee Park, in Huntingdon, was the stage for two days of action-packed, small-sided games across 13 categories.
There was a home triumph as Rovers’ own Blue team won the Under 13 Silver section, while Buckden Vultures Under 10s, Hemingford Under 11s, Warboys Black Under 13s, Godmanchester Town Under 15s and Little Paxton Under 15s were other local victors.
Godmanchester Rovers Youth chairman Jonathan Forster said: “This was the biggest tournament we have run and it went extremely well. The weather was great, the venue looked fantastic and we’ve already had lots of excellent feedback.
“I’d like to place on record my thanks to the 50-plus volunteers who work so tirelessly to make the event such a great success each year.”
You may also want to watch:
There was further good news for the Hemingford side as they scooped the winners’ draw to earn a tour of Wembley Stadium for a squad of 10 players and two coaches.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 8 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 9 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan