Football League side Stevenage leading the chase for St Neots Town talent Ryan Hawkins
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Town talent Ryan Hawkins could be on his way to the Football League.
Hawkins has spent three days on trial at Stevenage in the past week and he is due to train with the League Two club again tomorrow (Thursday) and Friday.
It is understood another League Two club and a League One outfit after also tracking the attacking ace, who was in the Norwich City youth set-up as a youngster.
Hawkins is under contract at St Neots for this season so they would be entitled to a fee from any transfer.
Joint Saints boss Andy Davies said: “We’ve had interest in Ryan from two or three clubs, but Stevenage are the first to have taken it a step further.
“There is no doubt in my mind that he has the ability to play in the Football League.
“He has quality on the ball, good movement off it and the sheer pace to be a success at that sort of level.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 9 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 10 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
“We are a club which likes to unearth, develop and promote young talent. Ryan is under contract so there will be a fee involved in any move, but we won’t stand in the way of a young player with a chance to progress in the game.”
Hawkins is likely to start the new season in Saints colours before any possible transfer is completed.
They open their Southern League Premier Division campaign with a trip to face Slough Town this Saturday, before hosting King’s Lynn in their first home game on Tuesday night.
Hawkins impressed against Stevenage when Saints held the League Two visitors to a goalless friendly draw last Wednesday night. He came within millimetres of earning victory when hitting a post in the second half.
Hawkins also featured in the St Neots side which ended pre-season on a losing note when going down 2-1 to Soham Town Rangers last night (Tuesday).
Declan Rogers fired Saints ahead, but they conceded twice to their lower-level visitors.
Winger Remy Gordon was again absent from the St Neots squad and it has been confirmed he is keen to leave the club to play closer to his Norfolk base.
Saints are understood to be negotiating a compensation package as the player is under contract for this season.