Football - Keeper holds excellent Town attack at bay

United Counties League Division One Huntingdon Town 0, Higham 0 TOWN failed to find the net on Saturday-but it was not for the lack of trying, as they handed out an excellent display of attacking football which should have produced goals and the subseque

United Counties League Division OneHuntingdon Town 0, Higham 0TOWN failed to find the net on Saturday-but it was not for the lack of trying, as they handed out an excellent display of attacking football which should have produced goals and the subsequent three points.However the Higham keeper, Jake Pinnock, produced save upon save to keep the Town players at bay, with Paul Nevill going close on several occasions.Huntingdon general manager Mick Hunt, said: "We produced wave after wave of attack but they got 11 men behind the ball."Their keeper was in inspired form and every shot we had hit some part of his body. We've got a young team and they just got a little impatient at times, which might have let us down a bit when we didn't get the breakthrough."Town will hope to return to winning ways tonight (Wednesday) against Ortonians at Jubilee Park.ON Chenecks 3, Eynesbury Rovers 4ROVERS recorded their fourth consecutive league victory to move up to fifth in Division One, as they completed the double over fourth placed ON Chenecks. Peter Collins scored his second consecutive hat-trick as he pushed his tally to 14 goals in 14 appearances.Rovers made the ideal start when Chenecks failed to clear the ball from a Craig Smith corner and Ricky Taylor pounced to fire home his third goal in his last four matches. Peter Collins should have done better when his shot hit the post 14 minutes later. However, Chenecks equalised as Justin Ayre's low shot went in off the post 10 minutes later. Eynesbury regained the lead on the stroke of half time as Paul Carey set up Collins inside the penalty area to fire past the goalkeeper to score his first.Just two minutes into the second half, Rovers were 3-1 ahead when Collins scored his second with a well taken shot. The visitors were well on top at this stage and looked like scoring with every attack but the game was turned on its' head as the hosts struck twice in eight minutes to draw level.Eynesbury kept their composure and, just two minutes from the end, took a 4-3 lead as hotshot Collins fired past Ben Goodger to claim his hat-trick. There was still time for more drama as Barry Albone was brought down inside the penalty area. Unfortunately for Rovers Craig Smith, aiming for his fourth goal in his last four games, struck the penalty poorly and Goodger made the save.Rovers' manager Dean Shipp was delighted with the win. "We've beaten another side in and around us and it just shows that we can beat anyone on our day," said Shipp."Although we dominated for long spells, we always looked a bit vulnerable at the back against the centre-forward, Lee Bradley, who is a class player."However, both Craig Smith and Peter Collins have hit a purple patch and they've benefited from the hard work of the whole team."This is the first time since 2003 that Rovers have won four games on the bounce and, in the process, recorded their sixth away league victory of the season.

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter