WALKING FOOTBALL: First trophy triumph for Huntingdonshire team
- Credit: Archant
A bunch of local footballers are walking tall after beating off opponents from across the region to claim a tournament triumph.
The Huntingdonshire Walking Football Group (HWFG) won an event laid on by the Northampton Town FC Community Trust at Sixfields Stadium recently.
They were unbeaten in the group stages of the six-a-side competition, powered through their semi-final and beat Leyton Orient 2-0 in the final to lift the trophy.
The HWFG squad was captained by Pete Graham and also featured goalkeeper Steve Padget and the tournament leading goalscorer in Andy Smith.
Other members were Neil Benham, Terry Woodgate, Liam Wilson, Stan Braycotton, Graham Paine and James Coubough.
You may also want to watch:
It was a first trophy success in the four years since HWFG was formed. The group has more than 50 members and lays on four weekly sessions at One Leisure venues in Huntingdon, St Ives and St Neots.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion