First success for Sam Tomlinson in the BARC Mighty Mini Championship, but then the mechanical gremlins strike
- Credit: Archant
Papworth racer Sam Tomlinson has toasted his first victory in the BARC Mighty Mini Championship.
Tomlinson made no mistake to lead from start to finish in the fifth race of the series at Brands Hatch last weekend after qualifying his Skip UK-sponsored car in pole position.
But the 32 year-old, a title-winning karting star in the past, soon saw delight turn to frustration as a gear-shift problem cost him another podium finish.
Tomlinson held third spot on the final lap of race six only for the mechanical gremlins to strike when going through the last corner as he dropped down to sixth.
Tomlinson said: “It was overwhelming to qualify on pole position for the first race of the weekend and following it up with my first win was incredible.
You may also want to watch:
“It was obviously disappointing to miss out on another podium in the next race, but it was still another very good weekend in which I also set the fastest lap.
“I’m sat second in the championship and it is all to play for.”
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 8 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
The next round is at Silverstone over the weekend of August 13/14.