First success for Sam Tomlinson in the BARC Mighty Mini Championship, but then the mechanical gremlins strike
- Credit: Archant
Papworth racer Sam Tomlinson has toasted his first victory in the BARC Mighty Mini Championship.
Tomlinson made no mistake to lead from start to finish in the fifth race of the series at Brands Hatch last weekend after qualifying his Skip UK-sponsored car in pole position.
But the 32 year-old, a title-winning karting star in the past, soon saw delight turn to frustration as a gear-shift problem cost him another podium finish.
Tomlinson held third spot on the final lap of race six only for the mechanical gremlins to strike when going through the last corner as he dropped down to sixth.
Tomlinson said: “It was overwhelming to qualify on pole position for the first race of the weekend and following it up with my first win was incredible.
“It was obviously disappointing to miss out on another podium in the next race, but it was still another very good weekend in which I also set the fastest lap.
“I’m sat second in the championship and it is all to play for.”
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 3 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 4 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 9 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
The next round is at Silverstone over the weekend of August 13/14.