First success for Huntingdon & District and first loss for Kimbolton in Tucker Gardner League Division Two
- Credit: Archant
It was a day of firsts in Tucker Gardner League Division Two on Saturday.
While Huntingdon & District claimed a first success of the new season, Kimbolton tasted defeat for the first time.
New overseas ace Muhammed Waqas impressed with the bat as Huntingdon & District eased past March by two wickets at St Peters Road.
Waqas top-scored with 69 while skipper Martin Burton added an unbeaten 20 as his side scrambled to victory.
Burton had earlier taken 3-30 as the visitors were dismissed for 180. His haul included the key wicket of Aussie ace Sam Freedman for 100.
Another big knock from South African recruit Ruben Claassen was not enough to prevent Kimbolton slipping up at Saffron Walden 2nds.
They went down by 63 when being dismissed for 200 in pursuit of a hefty target from their hosts. Claassen provided 65 of those runs while Chris Gilthorpe added 38 as the locals came up short.
- 1 Man, 37, named as A14 death crash victim
- 2 B1514 Brampton Road closure extended for Saturday
- 3 Huntingdon and Godmanchester celebrate 40-year twinning anniversary in Germany
- 4 St Neots man who put 'fear into the lives' of his victims is jailed
- 5 Editor Debbie Davies writes about her experience in Soham 20 years ago
- 6 Jail for St Neots man described as 'exceptionally dangerous'
- 7 Man sentenced after DNA found on drugs in a Huntingdon home
- 8 Rotary club donates more than £1,100 to police boxing club
- 9 Push for civil parking enforcement in Huntingdonshire to prevent on-street parking
- 10 Thameslink suffers 'staff shortage' with weekend disruption planned
Shaun Asplin played a starring role as St Ives beat Cambridge Granta 2nds for the second successive Saturday.
He helped himself to 5-19 as the Granta side were shot out for just 114 – a target St Ives passed with ease thanks to 49 from Tom McCarthy and 42 from Jack Haycock.
Warboys were blitzed by 127 runs at Newborough, collapsing for 111 in pursuit of 238.
TUCKER GARDNER LEAGUE
CAMBRIDGE GRANTA 2NDS lost to ST IVES by 6 wkts
Granta 2nds 114 (S. Asplin 5-19).
St Ives 115-4 (T. McCarthy 49, J. Haycock 42).
HUNTINGDON & DISTRICT beat MARCH by 2 wkts
March 181 (M. Burton 3-31).
Huntingdon & District 183-8 (W. Saleem 69).
SAFFRON WALDEN 2NDS beat KIMBOLTON by 63 runs
Saffron Walden 2nds 263-3.
Kimbolton 200 (R. Claassen 65, C. Gilthorpe 38).
WARBOYS lost to NEWBOROUGH by 127 runs