ATHLETICS: Home success as Taylor triumphs in annual Riverside race
- Credit: Archant
Michael Taylor provided a memorable home success in the Riverside Runners 31st Anniversary 10k last Sunday.
Taylor triumphed by 70 seconds from unattached runner-up Barney Palmer in the annual St Neots race which attracted more than 500 runners despite the sweltering conditions.
Taylor completed the course, starting and finishing at Riverside Park, in a time of 34.22 to earn the first victory for the host club since Chris Wright won in 2013.
Two more Riverside men – Neil Shorten (fifth in 38.19) and James Shiner (sixth in 38.37) - claimed top-10 finishes. Shorten also won the M40 category.
Plenty of other locals ran well with Rob Farrant of Huntingdon BRJ Run & Tri taking 10th place in 39.33 while Lisa Marriott of Ramsey was the leading lady. She finished 19th overall in 41.54.
Farrant (M40), Shelley Duffy (F35) and Anna Best (F65) all finished third in their age categories for BRJ.
That club provided the winner of the 2k fun run as 15 year-old Keelan Duffy surged to success in 6.50.
- 1 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 2 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 3 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 4 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
- 9 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
- 10 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
Caitlan Burke of Hunts AC was the first girl to finish when crossing the line in 7.38 for ninth position overall. Amelia Fleming of Riverside was one place and five seconds further back.
The race was generously sponsored by GR Barnes Builders and Ware Centre of Dental Excellence.
The St Neots 1st Scout Group assisted with the fun run and water station, while AT Performance provided a sports massage service for runners.