Fenland Grass Track Club lands British Championships after successful meeting
- Credit: Archant
The Fenland Grass Track Club held its annual Jon Underwood Trophy meeting at the hilltop course at Woodwalton over the weekend and Andy Gomm, riding a Jawa, won the title for 2014.
There was glorious weather for the racing which attracted entries from as far a field as Cornwall and York – and there were record crowds with 50 races held in just over four hours on the Saturday and another 61 in five hours on the Sunday.
“The club had its organisation in overdrive and cracked through the programme with few hold-ups,” said a spokesman. “The crowd were treated to an entertaining weekend of racing with little opportunity to get bored.”
Stilton rider Aaron Pease found himself up against some strong opposition in his races to record fourth, fifth, seventh and seventh place finishes over the four legs of the 500cc class event on Sunday.
Now, later in the year, the club has been entrusted with running the ACU British Championships finals for the first time ever. This event will take place on the same course in August. Also in August, there will be a meeting which will feature youth, solo and sidecar trophies.
You may also want to watch:
These races will all take place over the weekend of August 30-31.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 3 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 4 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 10 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan