FA YOUTH CUP FOOTBALL: Dias at the double as St Ives Town advance, but Godmanchester Rovers go out on penalties
- Credit: Archant
There was success for one local club – and heartbreak for another – in the first qualifying round of the FA Youth Cup this week.
St Ives Town made progress courtesy of a 3-1 success at Kettering Town last night (Thursday).
Tiago Dias hit the only goal in the first half to put the Saints lads ahead, but their hosts levelled early in the second period.
Dias struck again to restore the advantage before Victor Vaz sealed their passage into the second qualifying round, where they will travel to AFC Dunstable.
But there was an agonising exit for Godmanchester Rovers Under 18s on Tuesday when they were pipped on penalties.
You may also want to watch:
The Rovers youngsters went down 5-4 from the spot to Peterborough Northern Star following a 1-1 deadlock.
Neither side could find the net in 90 minutes, but substitute Max Davies put Godmanchester ahead in extra-time.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 7 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 8 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
His effort was cancelled out by Northern Star, who then went on to secure progress in the shoot-out.