FA YOUTH CUP FOOTBALL: Dias at the double as St Ives Town advance, but Godmanchester Rovers go out on penalties
- Credit: Archant
There was success for one local club – and heartbreak for another – in the first qualifying round of the FA Youth Cup this week.
St Ives Town made progress courtesy of a 3-1 success at Kettering Town last night (Thursday).
Tiago Dias hit the only goal in the first half to put the Saints lads ahead, but their hosts levelled early in the second period.
Dias struck again to restore the advantage before Victor Vaz sealed their passage into the second qualifying round, where they will travel to AFC Dunstable.
But there was an agonising exit for Godmanchester Rovers Under 18s on Tuesday when they were pipped on penalties.
The Rovers youngsters went down 5-4 from the spot to Peterborough Northern Star following a 1-1 deadlock.
Neither side could find the net in 90 minutes, but substitute Max Davies put Godmanchester ahead in extra-time.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 4 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 8 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 9 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
His effort was cancelled out by Northern Star, who then went on to secure progress in the shoot-out.