Eynesbury Rovers to the ‘four’ but Saints late cup heartache
- Credit: Archant
Eynesbury Rovers collected a second United Counties League Premier Division home victory in the space of four days last night . . . thanks to two goals in the space of four minutes.
Martin Field’s men came from behind to beat Wellingborough Town 2-1 at Hall Road.
They fell behind to a goal from visiting forward Jake Newman (who scored six times in a game against Huntingdon last week) after 12 minutes, but turned the contest around in the second period.
Lee Bassett levelled on 69 minutes before turning provider as Shane Fox hit a 73rd minute winner.
St Neots Saints suffered late heartbreak when falling at the first hurdle in the Hinchingbrooke Cup.
Lydia Bedford’s side delivered their best display of the season when going down 3-1 to hot United Counties League Division One title favourites Peterborough Sports at the Premier Plus Stadium.
They fell behind nine minutes before the break but levelled courtesy of a Kelvin Osei-Addo strike four minutes into the second period.
- 1 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 2 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in their village
- 3 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 4 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 5 Huntingdon Carnival and parade returns this summer
- 6 £1,350 a day (plus VAT) for new chief executive at combined authority
- 7 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 8 This year's Huntingdon in Bloom launch event has taken place
- 9 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 10 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
That’s the way it stayed until substitute Avelino Vieira, the former St Ives Town striker, jumped off the Sports bench to hit two late goals.
Two local teams are in action tonight.
St Ives Town go to Norwich United for a tough FA Cup preliminary round replay after being pegged back by a last-gasp equaliser when the sides met at ProEdge Westwood Road last Friday night.
Huntingdon will attempt to end their 26-match winless streak dating back to January when they entertain AFC Kempston Rovers at Jubilee Park in the United Counties League Premier Division.