Eynesbury Rovers rip apart Deeping Rangers to take unbeaten run into double-figures, but sloppy second half disappoints manager Mark Ducket

Eynesbury Rovers manager Mark Ducket.

Eynesbury Rovers manager Mark Ducket. - Credit: Archant

Eynesbury accomplished their mission of extending their unbeaten United Counties League Premier Division run into double-figures today – but boss Mark Ducket admitted it was tinged with disappointment.

Rovers ran out 4-2 winners against fourth-placed Deeping Rangers at Hall Road to climb into the top six in the standings.

But Ducket felt a dominant first-half performance was let down by a sloppier second-half showing which culminated in the concession of two ‘Sunday League’ goals to halve his side’s margin of victory.

Ducket said: “We battered a very good side for 45 minutes. We passed them off the pitch and they got an absolute roasting from their manager at half-time.

“But my own lads were guilty of thinking the game was over at 3-0 and that is not something which I will let happen again.

“I learned my first harsh lesson in management today in that I can’t keep pleasing players to give them minutes.

“I brought three important players off to get others onto the pitch and it affected us. The two goals we conceded were ‘Sunday League’ stuff and I could see them coming.

Most Read

“That said, it was another important victory that keeps our run going and our momentum building.

“We said we wanted to get the unbeaten run into double-figures and we managed it. I’m really proud of the players for that, but also disappointed at how the game finished.”

Alex Marsh fired Eynesbury into an early lead which was doubled by James Freshwater.

Lee Bassett’s third goal on the stroke of half-time left them firmly in control before Marsh clinched victory 20 minutes into the second half with his fourth goal in as many games.

But Deeping were gifted two late replies in the final five minutes to cut their arrears.

Huntingdon were undone by a 10-minute hat-trick as they crashed to a 12th successive defeat in the Premier Division.

Olly Brownhill struck three times in quick succession early in the second half to help Oadby record a 4-0 victory at Jubilee Park.

Huntingdon remain eight points adrift at the foot of the standings and now find themselves 10 points from safety.

Godmanchester Rovers saw their home clash against Felistowe & Walton in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division postponed.