Eynesbury draw a blank but Huntingdon gain ground

THERE were mixed results in Division One of the United Counties League this weekend when Eynesbury Rovers did everything but score and Huntingdon Town closed the gap on the top two.

Bourne Town 0 Eynesbury Rovers 0

DESPITE beating Bourne Town 4-0 in the United Counties League Cup earlier in the season, Eynesbury were held to their first draw of the campaign in Lincolnshire on Saturday.

Goalkeeper Dan Beall made his first league appearance for the first team this season while David Fisk made his 250th career start.

The game was slow to come to life but as it progressed Eynesbury created more and more chances. However, in the first half they had Beall to thank for keeping the score level.

The teenager punched away a header from Jake Mason and dived to his right to push a Jason Kilbride shot behind for a corner. On the stroke of half time Mason headed a Glenn Spearink cross against the foot of the post.

The nearest Rovers came to scoring in the first half was in the 44th minute when a Luke Swain cross found Tom Coles in the box but his shot was cleared off the line with Jeremy McMurrough firing the loose ball over the top.

Most Read

In the first minute of the second period Bourne’s Kilbride saw his free kick come back off the crossbar, but after this Eynesbury went on to dominate, creating 14 chances to the host’s two.

Swain fired a 20-yard free kick into the defensive wall while Neil Morris shot wide on two occasions, running onto the ball from midfield.

Lee Bassett also squandered two good opportunities before Rovers brought on all three substitutes in the 76th minute.

Shane Fox, Jack Warwick and Barry Albone replaced Scott Kingsbury, Bassett and McMurrough – but Rovers couldn’t make the breakthrough.

Huntingdon Town 3 Olney Town 2

HUNTINGDON Town got back to winning ways with an excellent 3-2 defeat of Olney at Jubilee Park.

Manager Ricky Marheineke was delighted with his team after the game, following their slip-up against Division One leaders Harborough Town the week before.

“It was important that we got back on track,” he said “I’m really happy with the win.

Harborough themselves slipped up when they could only manage a 1-1 draw at second-placed Bugbrooke St Michaels.

“There was a gap appearing at the top there so that result really helped us out,” said the manager. “But there is a long way to go – it was just good to gain some points on the leaders.”

Once again, Town made it slightly difficult for themselves having to come from behind after going a goal down in the 20th minute.

It was Dan Moyes who equalised in the 35th minute and it took just two minutes of the second half for Ricky Dear to volley home his chance to give the home side a 2-1 lead.

Stuart Eason made it 3-1 soon after but substitute Ryan Spencer conceded a penalty for 3-2 late on.

United Counties League

Premier Division

Boston Town 1 St Ives Town 3

IT’S now 17 wins out of 18 for St Ives Town after they beat Boston Town 3-1 away from home on Saturday.

The Saints did concede an early goal in Lincolnshire but in-form striker Conor Washington equalised on the half-hour mark before Junior McDougald headed home a Stuart Cobb volley to give Ives the lead shortly before the interval.

In the second half the Saints dominated with Cobb rounding the Boston goalkeeper in the 70th minute to make it 3-1.

“That second half performance was probably one our best displays over 45 minutes this season,” said joint manager Jez Hall.