Eynesbury chief Mark Ducket hails best success yet as his Rovers wreck unbeaten record

Matty Bannister hit Eynesbury Rovers' winner.

Matty Bannister hit Eynesbury Rovers' winner. - Credit: Archant

The footballing fairytale continues for Eynesbury Rovers.

Mark Ducket’s men collected their finest United Counties League Premier Division success of an impressive season today.

Rovers ended the 32-game unbeaten record of title-chasing AFC Kempston Rovers with a dramatic 2-1 triumph at Hall Road to climb into fourth place in the table.

Ducket, who’s own team have lost only one of 20 league games since his early-December appointment, said: “Words can’t describe the feeling.

“I haven’t experienced anything like this in the game for a long time.

“There is no doubt in my mind Kempston are the best team in the league.

“We dominated them, we outplayed them and we got the result.”

Most Read

Kempston arrived having won 21 and drawn 11 of their previous 32 fixtures in the Premier Division.

They hit the front through substitute Ash Fuller in the 80th minute, by Eynesbury completed a fine turnaround.

Teenage full-back Ben Hickling hit a classy leveller with a rasping half-volley from the edge of the box in the 88th minute to level.

And even better was to follow in the second minute of stoppage time as Matty Bannister was in the right place at the right time to pounce after Kempston keeper Martin Conway had clawed away a mis-directed header from a defender.

But Eynesbury had to hold firm during another six minutes of play with Bannister making a vital block at the other end to preserve their advantage.

Ducket added: “We could easily have gone into our shells after conceding, but we continued to go at Kempston and got our rewards.

“It is the best result out of many good ones this season and even more satisfying as they tried to knock our achievement of beating them in the KO Cup.

“Kempston claimed they rested players that night, but there were only three different ones in their team today whereas I had a couple of important players missing.”

Bottom side Huntingdon were beaten 7-0 at Northampton Spencer in their first game for a fortnight.

Five of the goals arrived in the first half with the hosts halving further joy in the final quarter-of-an-hour.

Godmanchester Rovers saw their 10-match winning streak in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division come to an end.

They were held to a goalless draw in a third-versus-fourth clash at Felixstowe.

Striker Luke Brown saw an effort well-saved before fine defending denied Luke Seaber-Shinn the opportunity to strike late on.

Manager Matt Clements said: “It was a good point against a good side.

“We weren’t really troubled by Felixstowe, but in all truth we didn’t trouble them enough in a wind-ravaged gamed.

“It was not a pretty game and I’m sure a few people would have liked their money back.

“But it showed again how much we have matured during the season. We’ve kept five clean sheets in six games and we have learned how to perform in tight games.