Ella Hampton delivers the penalty shoot-out heroics as a third St Ivo School girls’ team reach their national final
- Credit: Archant
A third girls’ football team from the St Ivo School have reached a national final – and they could hardly have done it in any more dramatic style.
Hot on the heels of the Under 13s’ success and the Under14s’ agonising penalty shoot-out defeat, the Under 12s are now one game away from glory in the National Schools’ Cup competition.
Ella Hampton was the heroine as they beat the Rossett School from Harrogate, North Yorkshire, at the semi-final stage in a sudden-death penalty shoot-out on Thursday.
The St Ivo goalkeeper kept out five penalties before tucking away the winner herself to secure a 3-2 triumph from the spot following a 2-2 deadlock in which they had been three seconds from elimination.
St Ivo fell behind to an early opener from Rossett. They then hit the woodwork on three occasions and saw two other efforts cleared off the line before Lucy O’Brien levelled late in the first half.
You may also want to watch:
The local pupils fell behind again with 10 minutes to go, but O’Brien again came up with a response when firing an equaliser which the match referee confirmed hit the net only three seconds before he was set to blow the final whistle.
Neither side could manage another breakthrough in extra-time before Hampton ensured they prevailed on penalties.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
The Under 12s had previously stormed through the earlier rounds without conceding a goal, and will now face either the Valley Park School (Maidstone) or the Gordano School (Somerset) in the final at Lilleshall on June 28.
Proud coach Lisa Trigg said: “We’re all absolutely delighted to see a third St Ivo team reach their national final.
“It is a huge achievement for our Year 7 girls and I am sure they will go far in the game.”
Five members of the Under 12 squad - Hampton, O’Brien, Sasha Brown, Tia Everdell and Angel Lyden - were part of the trophy-winning Under 13 side as well.
St Ivo School Under 12 Girls’ squad: Sasha Brown (captain), Lia Chambers, Ellie Chettle, Yazmine Chettle, Kellie-Marie Dixon, Macy Driver, Tia Everdell, Ella Hampton, Mary Kean, Angel Lyden, Holly Mellors, Lucy O’Brien, Megan Scott and Olivia Scott.