Eight more wins required for St Ives Town to hit their play-off target
- Credit: Archant
Ricky Marheineke has set his St Ives Town players a target of eight more wins to clinch a Southern League Division One (Central) play-off berth.
Marheineke believes 78 points will be enough to secure a spot in the top five and a tilt at promotion.
Saints have racked up 54 so far with 12 fixtures remaining following the postponement of a clash at fellow play-off hopefuls Aylesbury last Saturday.
“We have felt all along the 78 points will earn a play-off place,” said Marheineke. “We know what is required from here.
“We’ve played all four of the teams above us twice already and that might work in our favour.
You may also want to watch:
“We also have home games to come against a couple of the teams just behind us in the table and we’ll need to make the most of them.”
The trip to Aylesbury has been re-arranged for April 19 and will be Saints’ penultimate fixture.
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 5 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 6 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 7 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 8 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
They host mid-table side Petersfield at ProEdge Westwood Road this Saturday.
Marheineke has completed the capture of goalkeeper Brendan Brown from higher-level Histon. The former Northampton Town scholar, who is based locally at Hemingford, will provide competition to number one Tim Trebes.
But striker Stuart Eason has left Saints after signing a dual-registration deal with Northern League Division One South side Spalding United.
“Stuart needs football and I can’t guarantee him that at the moment,” added Marheineke. “The beauty of a dual-registration move is that he is still eligible to play for us if required.”