Eaton Socon taste Tucker Gardner League defeat for the first time in a year, but Godmanchester and Ramsey keep on winning
- Credit: Archant
Eaton Socon suffered their first Tucker Gardner League defeat for more than a year on Saturday.
Jonny Carpenter’s side slipped to a 74-run reverse at the hands of Foxton in Division One – a first loss since the opening day of last season in Division Two.
Medium-pacer Matthew Taylor took 5-39 as Foxton made 235-8 with the locals only managing 161 in reply. Matt Rawling (38) and Matt Taylor (33) were the biggest contributors.
There were no such problems for reigning champions Godmanchester or their 2014 predecessors Ramsey, who both extended their winning starts to the new season to three games.
Captain Paul Swannell (4-30) and Tariq Aziz (3-32) excelled with the ball to steer Godmanchester to a 20-run triumph at Blunham.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Durrant had earlier fallen three runs short of his half-century when top-scoring in Godmanchester’s offering of 156 while Elliott Baldwin added a valuable 37.
Jon Cade cracked an unbeaten 41 off as many balls to guide Ramsey to a two-wicket triumph over Histon.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 8 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 9 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
Some fine bowling from Elliot Cafferkey (3-12) and Mark Edwards (3-14) helped dismiss the visitors for 180, but passing that total proved troublesome for Ramsey.
Wickets fell at regular intervals until Cade took charge with fellow tail-ender Sam Latchford also unbeaten on 12 to finish the job.
Waresley suffered a third successive defeat when going down to Saffron Walden by 75 runs despite the usual three wickets apiece from Chetan Chauhan (3-31) and Alex Watkiss (3-66).
Their efforts with the ball helped to dismiss the visitors for 225, but Waresley could only limp to 150 in reply with only three batsmen making it past 20.
TUCKER GARDNER LEAGUE
BLUNHAM lost to GODMANCHESTER by 20 runs
Godmanchester 156 (M. Durrant 43, E. Baldwin 37).
Blunham 136 (P. Swannell 4-30, T. Aziz 3-32).
EATON SOCON lost to FOXTON by 74 runs
Foxton 235-8 (Matthew Taylor 5-39).
Eaton Socon 161 (M. Rawling 38, Matt Taylor 33).
RAMSEY beat HISTON by 2 wkts
Histon 180 (E. Cafferkey 3-12, M. Edwards 3-14).
Ramsey 181-8 (J. Cade 41no, M. Cafferkey 30).
WARESLEY lost to SAFFRON WALDEN by 75 runs
Saffron Walden 225 (C. Chauhan 3-31, A. Watkiss 3-66).