Eaton Socon make their mark by signing title-winning captain Matt
- Credit: Archant
Title-winning captain Matt Pateman has left Tucker Gardner League Division One champions Godmanchester to return to his first club.
Pateman has agreed a move to Eaton Socon for their debut top-flight season after they breezed to the Division two title last term.
He returns 13 years after leaving and the big winter signing has been hailed by Eaton Socon president Terry Day.
He said: “It’s great to have Matt back with us as we start life in Division One next season.
“He brings a lot of experience of playing at that level and is a proven run-scorer – something he showed when helping Godmanchester to win the league last year.
“Matt’s signing, along with that of overseas player Matthew Kirkham, shows our ambition.
“We also have a very good new captain in Jonny Carpenter, who has skippered at Premier League level in the past, to lead us in an exciting new era.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Missing woman back home
- 3 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 4 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 5 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 6 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 7 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 8 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 9 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
“Hopefully we will be able to surprise a few teams next season and would like to think we could challenge for a top-half finish which would be a great effort in our first season at that level.”
Pateman boasts the club-record score of 185no achieved in a game against Blunham 2nds.
More in the Hunts Post tomorrow.