Eaton Socon make their mark by signing title-winning captain Matt
- Credit: Archant
Title-winning captain Matt Pateman has left Tucker Gardner League Division One champions Godmanchester to return to his first club.
Pateman has agreed a move to Eaton Socon for their debut top-flight season after they breezed to the Division two title last term.
He returns 13 years after leaving and the big winter signing has been hailed by Eaton Socon president Terry Day.
He said: “It’s great to have Matt back with us as we start life in Division One next season.
“He brings a lot of experience of playing at that level and is a proven run-scorer – something he showed when helping Godmanchester to win the league last year.
You may also want to watch:
“Matt’s signing, along with that of overseas player Matthew Kirkham, shows our ambition.
“We also have a very good new captain in Jonny Carpenter, who has skippered at Premier League level in the past, to lead us in an exciting new era.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 4 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 5 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 10 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
“Hopefully we will be able to surprise a few teams next season and would like to think we could challenge for a top-half finish which would be a great effort in our first season at that level.”
Pateman boasts the club-record score of 185no achieved in a game against Blunham 2nds.
More in the Hunts Post tomorrow.