Eaton Socon make their mark by signing title-winning captain Matt
- Credit: Archant
Title-winning captain Matt Pateman has left Tucker Gardner League Division One champions Godmanchester to return to his first club.
Pateman has agreed a move to Eaton Socon for their debut top-flight season after they breezed to the Division two title last term.
He returns 13 years after leaving and the big winter signing has been hailed by Eaton Socon president Terry Day.
He said: “It’s great to have Matt back with us as we start life in Division One next season.
“He brings a lot of experience of playing at that level and is a proven run-scorer – something he showed when helping Godmanchester to win the league last year.
“Matt’s signing, along with that of overseas player Matthew Kirkham, shows our ambition.
“We also have a very good new captain in Jonny Carpenter, who has skippered at Premier League level in the past, to lead us in an exciting new era.
- 1 Obsessive stalker jailed for posting explicit photographs of his former partner
- 2 Number of bird flu cases have been confirmed in Huntingdonshire
- 3 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 4 Dry weather continues to impact district as pond drys up in Ramsey
- 5 Fun in the sun at Huntingdon Carnival 2022
- 6 Rocks thrown at St Neots school building in vandal attack
- 7 Riverside Miniature Railway raises flag in record breaking year
- 8 Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel until later due to 'incidents'
- 9 Recap: Wire damage disrupts Hitchin and Peterborough trains
- 10 Huntingdon care home treats residents to an exotic animal expereince
“Hopefully we will be able to surprise a few teams next season and would like to think we could challenge for a top-half finish which would be a great effort in our first season at that level.”
Pateman boasts the club-record score of 185no achieved in a game against Blunham 2nds.
More in the Hunts Post tomorrow.