DUATHLON: Pat Ellerbeck books his place in major events - and Nicetri clubmate could join him
- Credit: Archant
Pat Ellerbeck earned automatic qualification for two major international events – thanks to one smart recent performance.
The St Neots Nicetri veteran booked his place at the 2018 World Championships (being held in Denmark in July) and next year’s European Championships by finishing third in the M60-64 category of the Anglian Water Standard Duathlon earlier this month.
He completed the 10km run, 40km cycle and 5km run in a total time of 2:22.32.
Only those finishing in the top three of the this event are guaranteed qualification, but a further 20 places in each age group are up for grabs based on results from this race and two others.
Kyle Chesterman agonisingly missed out on automatic qualification when fourth in the M30-34 age bracket in 2:05.18 while Steve Hughes was 19th in the M35-39 category in 2:11.39.
You may also want to watch:
Karl Hiner was forced out of the race by a slow puncture during the cycle.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 7 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 8 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester