DUATHLON: It’s a case of crowdfunding to go medal-hunting for Great Britain star Jess Williams
- Credit: Archant
A Huntingdonshire sportswoman hopes to raise £4,000 to fund her challenge for more major honours.
Duathlete Jess Williams, from Godmanchester, won a World Championships silver medal in the female 25/29 age group when making a brilliant international debut last year.
Now she has qualified to represent Great Britain again at the European and World Championships during 2017.
A close friend has created a crowdfunding page in a bid to help Williams cover the high costs of her pursuit for success.
Williams, who combines her sporting ambitions with a career in the NHS, said: “To win a silver medal in my first competitive race for my country last year was more than I ever dreamed could be possible.
“My dedication, desire and passion to become European and World champion in my age group is immense.
“I would very much appreciate any financial support that could help put me on the road to gold.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 3 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 4 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 7 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 8 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
- 9 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 10 Newly elected mayor and deputy mayor of St Neots announced
“Duathlon is a self-funded sport therefore I will have to cover the cost of around £4,000 to compete in the European and World Championships this year.
“I currently have to cover the cost of everything from race entries to equipment maintenance and nutrition myself.”
The European Championships take place in Spain, in April, with the World event scheduled for August, in Canada.
Williams is thankful to the One Leisure gym in St Ives, and Musclecraft GYm, in Huntingdon, who provide free memberships to assist her training regime.
Williams’ crowdfunding page can be found at https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/JessWilliams?utm_id=100&utm_term=xyG77r5X8