DUATHLON: It’s a case of crowdfunding to go medal-hunting for Great Britain star Jess Williams
- Credit: Archant
A Huntingdonshire sportswoman hopes to raise £4,000 to fund her challenge for more major honours.
Duathlete Jess Williams, from Godmanchester, won a World Championships silver medal in the female 25/29 age group when making a brilliant international debut last year.
Now she has qualified to represent Great Britain again at the European and World Championships during 2017.
A close friend has created a crowdfunding page in a bid to help Williams cover the high costs of her pursuit for success.
Williams, who combines her sporting ambitions with a career in the NHS, said: “To win a silver medal in my first competitive race for my country last year was more than I ever dreamed could be possible.
You may also want to watch:
“My dedication, desire and passion to become European and World champion in my age group is immense.
“I would very much appreciate any financial support that could help put me on the road to gold.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
“Duathlon is a self-funded sport therefore I will have to cover the cost of around £4,000 to compete in the European and World Championships this year.
“I currently have to cover the cost of everything from race entries to equipment maintenance and nutrition myself.”
The European Championships take place in Spain, in April, with the World event scheduled for August, in Canada.
Williams is thankful to the One Leisure gym in St Ives, and Musclecraft GYm, in Huntingdon, who provide free memberships to assist her training regime.
Williams’ crowdfunding page can be found at https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/JessWilliams?utm_id=100&utm_term=xyG77r5X8